Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Raw/Living food - Day 2

Day 2 of my Raw/Living food experience.

So far, still so good. I enjoyed my morning vegetable juice more, probably because I chose a recipe that doesn't include celery for this morning. It was carrots, beets and cucumbers. Not the world's tastiest drink, but definitely drinkable. It made a ton too so I froze some for tomorrow morning. I'm noticing that all of the recipes I'm following actually make enough food for two meals for me, which is great because it will cut down on the expense of this lifestyle. The only tough part is that a lot of the food includes avocado which doesn't save very well. I will have to find some way to work around that. I ran this morning and then had the veggie juice. I didn't drink the juice until around 10 or 11 this morning. I wanted to eat between 12-1 but somehow I didn't get around to starting to make lunch until 2, and it took me until nearly 3 to finish it. I made the sweet potato and beet pasta with basil pesto. It was very pleasantly delicious! I don't have a mandolin though so I had to use a regular vegetable peeler and scrape at slices of the potato and beet. It was super messy and slow and sort of dangerous if I wasn't careful. It also wasted good chunks of beat and potato. I need a mandoline! I think I'm interested in this one http://www.amazon.com/Zyliss-Easy-Slice-Folding-Mandoline/dp/B000HVDZU4/ref=cm_cr_pr_sims_t
but I need to do more research. The price seems reasonable though and the reviews are generally good. My big problem with lunch was that, while tasty, it was definitely not filling to me. I never really felt like I had any food actually reach my stomach though I felt like I was doing a lot of eating. On the other hand though, I wasn't really hungry through the afternoon either so maybe it's just that difference between being hungry and being empty. The food digests quickly because it is all living, raw food, so it doesn't stay in your stomach long, but the nutrients from the food fuels your body so you technically are not hungry. This has been an important difference to me and it's one I didn't realize previously. Even if I get nothing else out of this raw food lifestyle, I think that difference is enough.

Then on to the other important information. So far, I still have all the usual aches and pains. Possibly even worse foot/ankle pain since today was a running day. My PF in my right foot hurts like heck, and my whatever new pain in my left ankle also hurts like heck. Not sure which is worse but I'm hobbling around pretty badly. My throat had been really bothering me a few days ago, very sore and scratchy. It is better, but not completely gone yet. That, of course, could have happened either way, but I figured I'd report on it all the same. While I haven't really felt hungry, I did take a long nap this afternoon and that might have changed things. Also, it shows that my energy level is not all that high. I think the meal we chose for dinner tonight, chicken breasts with cauliflower, was a healthy choice and pairs well with the raw food diet transition so I don't feel guilty about that. My favorite part is though, that now I only have 44 lbs to lose, instead of 46. It's a great start and I hope it keeps up!

No comments: