Saturday, July 12, 2008

Ahhh @!#P$ insurance companies!! Part 2 and 3

So when we left my story, I was waiting for my HR person to call me back.

Part 2:
I did get a call back while I was in my car driving on the highway, not from the rep I called but someone else in my HR dept. She said she wanted to help me but she didn't understand my problem. I tried to explain that I just needed a paper from Blue Cross Blue Shield saying my coverage with them was over. She was very nice but still confused. How could I need that from them when I didn't have BCBS insurance in the first place? I told her I DID have them for insurance. She said I couldn't have them because they weren't an option offered through our company. ?@?!?!?@#:#!P!?! HUH ?? ?!?!!?!?! I KNOW I have BCBS insurance, I've been dealing with them for weeks over this other problem with my doctor's office I'd been having. The lady just kept insisting that I couldn't have them and I needed to find out who I did have because even though she's HR, she doesn't have access to my records so she couldn't tell for me.


Part 3:
I had to give it a day off between dealing with this to calm down. I devised a new plan though. I'd call up my insurance company, ask when was the last day I had coverage with them, and then when they tell me, I say, Great, I want it in writing! Ha, it's fool-proof! ....
So I try out my new plan, and they tell me they don't have an end date for me, I need to contact my HR dept. Okayyy... I call back the lovely lady from HR I spoke to the day before. I tell her that my insurance, BCBS, doesn't have an end date for me and needs her to send it to them. She still says I don't have BCBS but that it's not her side that sends that sort of thing, it's another company my HR works with called Connect One. Great, I get that number and I call them to tell them to send my end date to my insurance!

Well. This part turned out to be pretty much pure hell. It was more menus and options than I have ever seen a phone system have before. Plus it was voice activated too so if I so much as breathed gently into the phone, it took that as some crazy answer from me. Once it suddenly switched into Spanish because I sighed too hard. There was supposed to be some number to dial to turn it off and I tried it but then it said that was not a valid code. So I pushed all sorts of thing and listened to all sorts of menus. Finally it said connecting you and by the way, here's the number we are connecting you to, and it was THE PHONE NUMBER FOR BLUE CROSS BLUE SHIELD THAT I HAD BEEN CALLING ALL OF THIS TIME AND BEING TOLD THEY COULDN'T HELP ME. WTF?!?! Now I was pretty much losing it. Plus I was no longer covered by insurance so if something happened today, I was going to be SOL. I needed to get this resolved URGENTLY.

I hung up and called the number back and tried another set of menus that I hoped wouldn't just connect me to BCBS. I reached a person!!!! YES!!! She answered, Retiree pension and benefits, how can I help you? Noooooo!! I told her who I was trying to reach and she said all she could do was put me back into the menu system, but I needed to hit 4 for medical. I told her I DID hit 4 and that's how I got to her!! She said sorry and dumped me back into the menu, but something went wrong and it hung up on me.

I called the number back and tried MORE menus that sounded right. This time, at every new menu set of options, I immediately tried to hit 0 for an operator or any human at all. Every time it told me that it was not a valid selection. Finally, finally, finally, I got through to someone who sounded like she might actually be in the right area to help me!! I tell her my problem and she GETS IT!! She's nice, she's polite, she's smart, she's understanding. She looks up my records and........ I have no end date in the system with them either!! She says I need to call HR and have them send the end date to Connect One so they can send the end date to some other company called ADP so they can send it to BCBS. REALLY??!???? Oh . My . God . So.

I called HR back and left a message with this new information............

I still have not heard from HR again.

BUT. There is good news :)
My husband was able to go into his HR office and plead my case about how I couldn't get the paperwork from BCBS and his insurance WILL be able to add me on, effective immediately, and I can just get the paperwork whenever I can get it. YES!!! :D So it's a happy ending, even though I don't have 100% of what I need and I will apparently have to deal with these bozos for a while longer.

No comments: