Monday, December 1, 2008

December personal challenge

My parents already gave me my Christmas (and Birthday) presents for this year - a beautiful new digital piano with just about every feature imaginable. My old one broke around the end of the summer. It just wouldn't turn on any more out of the blue one day. I've been without a piano for 3 or 4 months now and really have been missing it.

So now that I have a piano again, I've been reading stuff on line about the best ways to practice to get better. One site I found said that the best way is to memorize all the music as you go, so you end up with a whole bunch of stuff you can play from memory. I've decided to try that out for a bit and see how it goes.

Well, it turns out I absolutely suck at memorizing music :P I guess there is a reason I don't have a single other song memorized. I sat down to learn Somewhere Over the Rainbow and it's taken me days but I just about have it now. I am also so bored with that song I can't even begin to tell you (though with the sheet music I can now play it perfectly which is saying something at least!).

This morning I was thinking that I should really be using this great time in Dec to learn Xmas songs instead of just random ones. I have about a billion xmas sheet music books so I picked one and by Dec 25, I plan to have 8 songs memorized. That is my challenge to myself!!

I hope I get better at this memorization thing. I couldn't believe how bad I was at it for Somewhere Over the Rainbow.

My first Xmas song on my list to memorize is Away in a Manger. So far, I've got 1 line down already. I'm on my way! :D

No comments: